Friday, September 14, 2007

Apple Brownies with Buttery Cinnamon Frosting

My mom used to make these and they always remind me of fall. The recipe below only makes a 9 x 9 pan but I always double it and make a 9 x 13 inch pan and 4-6 muffins. (You will have to increase the baking time as well) The frosting is VERY rich so I do NOT double it.

Brownies:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

1 cup finely chopped apples
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1 T cinnamon
1 box powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
Milk

For brownies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together sugars and butter; add eggs and vanilla. In large mixing bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to sugar mixture and mix well. With wooden spoon (called the spanking spoon in our house) stir in apples and nuts. Spread in greased 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Frost with Buttery Cinnamon Frosting.

For frosting:
Cream butter. Add cinnamon and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Spread over warm apple brownies.

TIP OF THE DAY: Instead of chopping up nuts in a mini chopper or food processor, simply place them in a ziploc baggie (not fully sealed) and beat with a meat mallet or rolling pin. If I am using a whole package of nuts, I simply do this while they are still in their original bag.

Tomorrow's Daily Special: Saturday Surprise (ie I don't know yet :)